Where it all began: Cath Kidston Jewellery Roll

Hello,
    When I thought about starting a blog, I thought it would be best to start from the beginning as I want this blog to document my journey after graduation. So why not start at the beginning of my textiles journey which started when I joined secondary school.
    One of my first memories of textiles was hearing how excited my cousin (who is two years older than me) was to be making a bag in her textiles class. The way she spoke about her designs and how she planned it to look, made me so excited and I couldn't wait to go to secondary school so that I could have textiles lessons and get to design and make things too. Unfortunately, i can not find the bag that I was so excited to make, but if I do find it I will do a blog post on it. However, i do have the next item that I got to make when I was in year 9 (13 years old), which was a Cath Kidston inspired jewellery roll.
    My textiles teacher at the time was a big Cath Kidston fan and she decided that we would all make the jewellery roll that was in the new Cath Kidston:Sew! book (sorry I couldn't find it on their website so I had to do an Amazon link). We as a class had to all follow the same pattern, with one big zip pocket, a velcro ring tube and two smaller pockets, but we individually had a free range choice of five Cath Kidston fabrics and any extra decoration was up to us.
    As I had only previously made a very simple tote bag this was my first technical piece of textiles work, where I learnt how to create and use:
- Pockets
- Fastening (zip, velcro, ribbon tie)
- Applique (using bondaweb)
- Hand embroidery (blanket stitch)
- Embellishment (beading)
- Bias binding
    I really loved having textiles lessons, I loved the freedom that we had to express our creativity by designing and creating products. The fact that I could use a few bits of material and actually make something amazed me, and still to this day my favourite bit about textiles is seeing the end product.
Sometimes making clothes or products can be hard and don't always make sense when you are in the middle of it, that is why I always look forward to seeing how it will end up.
    Please find my pictures of my jewellery roll below. I know it is not perfect but it is one of the first things that I ever made, so for that I am proud of it. As my blog is new if you have any feedback or questions on how I could improve please don't be afraid to get in contact, in fact as I don't know what I am doing it would appreciate some advice.
    Thank you so much for reading,
     Love Karmann Jean

Inside the jewellery roll, the smaller pockets can be used for smaller items just as necklaces.

The jewellery roll can be rolled up and tied together with a ribbon.

This is the ring tube, which is secured down by velcro.

Cath Kidston: Sew! book (Kidston, C. (2011). Sew!. London: Quadrille.).

Blanket stitch is used around the appliqued heart as decoration on the small pockets.

The outside of the jewellery roll is embellished with small beads and flower gems which have been used to enhance the floral print of the fabric.

The inside of the jewellery roll contains a big zipped pocket.

Here is the jewellery roll in action.

There is a tube to hold rings and a big zip compartment for bigger items of jewellery such as charm bracelets.

Comments